Sheppard Pratt is one of the largest providers of the full continuum of mental health care services in North America with an international reputation. Founded in 1853, its philosophy of care was revolutionary for its time and still inspiring and relevant today:
• Courteous treatment for all patients
• Patients were to have privacy, sunlight, and fresh air
• A curative environment combining science and experience for the best outcomes
Original to the vision of “comprehensive care for all,” Sheppard Pratt now provides medical education and training, research, public education, community outreach, outpatient programs, schooling and residential treatment with a focus on community-based healthcare.
In 2009 Sheppard Pratt purchased property outside of Washington, D.C. with the intent of replacing a leased facility that they operate nearby. In 2018 construction of the new campus which includes an 85-bed inpatient hospital, day hospital programs, a crisis treatment center and educational programs began.
The new hospital “Sheppard Pratt Baltimore / Washington” opened in August of 2021. The campus also has a mental health ambulatory care center planned for the park-like campus.
The new hospital is revolutionary in its design and holds true to the tenets that Sheppard Pratt was founded on. We will explore:
• Patient and family dignity
• Striking a balance between patient safety and healing environment
• Utilization of the “park like setting” in the healing process
• Natural light and views
• The importance of direct, outdoor access for all patients
• Future opportunities for research in mental health facility design